Friday, October 23, 2009

dinner tonight


I have had an excess of carrots this year. As I plated quite a few in my new raised bed. I have been trying to decide what to do with the last of the bunch, and carrot soup just sounded delicious. It is super easy, it tastes yummy too.
Here is my recipe:

1/2 large sweet potato cut into 2 inch cubes
4-5 cups carrots cut into 2 inch cubes
4 cups stock, either chicken or vegetable
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
olive oil
salt

Serves 6

1. Saute sliced onion and minced garlic in about 2 tablespoons olive oil until onion is translucent.
2. add stock, carrots, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 45 min, or until carrots and potatoes are soft.
3. Blend (either use a hand blender or a regular blender)and blend soup to desired consistency. I like mine smooth with little chunks, but you may prefer chunky. (Note: be careful when blending hot soup, it may be best to let it cool a bit before blending. And if using a regular blender do not fill more than halfway-so do it in batches)
4. Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
5. Great toppings are: sour cream and nutmeg, or cheddar cheese, or sesame oil.

This soup is gluten free and casin free (obviously if you don't add the dairy on top). Our kiddos have had colds lately and Timothy is really hanging onto his cough, so I am trying to reduce all the dairy we can, as he doesn't do well with it on his healthiest days.
I cannot decide what to serve this with, but am thinking of a spinach salad with goddess dressing (oo-I will include my recipe for that soon), and our freshly roasted pumpkin seeds, and/or some homemade brushetta. Enjoy everyone, and let me know what you served with it if you make this soup too!

No comments:

Post a Comment